During the pandemic, we had to reevaluate our home and where we live. The size of our home, the need for a home office and considering relocation to more affordable cities or closer to family were among the questions many asked themselves during the last year. Many people are moving, whether it is due to a change in their lives or the effect of the pandemic.
The booming real estate market in combination with the typical busy moving season in the summer, and the labour shortage, has created a perfect storm. Despite the high demand for moving companies, many companies are having trouble hiring qualified employees. Finding a reputable moving company is hard enough without having to stress about it.
So how will this affect those planning on moving this summer? Make sure you plan ahead! To beat the rush and maximize your organization skills, make your moving reservations as early as possible.
Organize your moving tasks as effectively and low-stress as you can during the eight weeks before moving. Keep calm and prepared by following these two-month moving steps. Check off each step as you go:
- Start searching for a mover
- Check a mover’s record with the Better Business Bureau and Google
- Choosing a moving company with a great reputation is important
- Book a mover
- Start to inventory and divide up your belongings
- Change your information online or send a change of address to:
- The bank
- Credit card companies
- Post office
- Insurance companies
- Transfer your child's school records
- Check homeowner’s insurance policies.
- Start to pack
- Plan for discontinuing current utilities and establishing new ones:
- Cable TV
- Landline telephone service
- Water softener
- Set up local bank accounts
- Cancel newspaper delivery
- Refill all prescriptions.
- Start to disassemble items.
- Hire a cleaning crew to help clean your home.
ONE WEEK TO GO:
- Pack in separate boxes your necessary items:
- Linens & towels
- Toothbrushes & toiletries
- Disposable plates & cutlery
- Plastic containers
- Garbage bags
- Tool kit
- Step ladder
- Extension cords
- Light bulbs
- Cleaning items
- Comfortable clothes
- Pack a suitcase for each member of the family
- Try to use up most food items before the move
DAY OF THE MOVE! YOU DID IT!
Congratulations, you conquered all the work and planning for moving. Besides moving during a unique time, you also remained organized. Your new and improved lifestyle is now waiting to be gradually unpacked.